So, I'm getting more into Star Wars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So, I'm getting more into Star Wars

Post  khfreak358 on Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:31 am

So, like I said in General Discussion, my interest in Star Wars has been rejuvenated recently after seeing Episode VII 3 times in under a week, and I'm trying to get more into the Expanded Universe.

Which brings me to a question: anybody know any good EU material they'd recommend? I realize this may not be the best place to ask this, especially considering I think I've established myself as the Star Wars guy on the site, but screw it; I feel like asking my friends these things, as opposed to relying solely on forums, blogs and the like for recommendations. And I'm sure at least some of you guys have read some EU. Though, in the interest of getting more new recommendations, here's a list of what I've already decided on/read/watched/played:

Star Wars Legacy
The Thrawn trilogy
The Dark Lord trilogy
Darth Plagueis
The Darth Bane trilogy
Blood Ties: A Tale of Jango and Boba Fett
Clone Wars
The Republic Commandos series
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir
Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin
The Force Unleashed

"If that thing gets control of you, gutting is always an option."- Wolverine commenting on Spider-Man's Black Suit.

TITAL Characters: Trent, Sylvia
Org. XIV Characters: Siks, Kotank, Susan, Erntxt, Necro, Wayne, Astaroth, Kenshutsu, Mortem
Zombieland Characters: Necro, Crone
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Re: So, I'm getting more into Star Wars

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:28 am

I'm not too familiar, but I heard that Shadows of the Empire was pretty cool. The book, not the game. Sorry I don't have anything better. I know I read some Star Wars books back in the day, but I can't remember anything about them.

Planned Characters for DB Story: Redemi, Nobis, Matsuda.
To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

"Go forth, and set the world on fire!"
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin (HalcyonWandering) on Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:06 pm

No offense, KH. But, I'm pretty sure that you're our resident expert in Star Wars. XD

Dark Bloodline RP: Brenna, Jonah
Admin (HalcyonWandering)
Admin
Admin

http://tital.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:02 pm

Oh, I'm aware. I just felt strangely compelled to ask around here.

And, in response to Nebula, I have also heard good things about Shadows of the Empire. I'll likely wind up picking that up somewhere down the line.

"If that thing gets control of you, gutting is always an option."- Wolverine commenting on Spider-Man's Black Suit.

Org. XIV Characters: Siks, Kotank, Susan, Erntxt, Necro, Wayne, Astaroth, Kenshutsu, Mortem
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:42 pm

So, what you're telling me is the SW expert has not only not read any of the EU until now... but also doesn't seem aware that Disney has basically said "lol, 90% of everything is non-canon now." Sure the novels still exist so you can go ahead and read those, but don't expect that knowledge you gain to be much useful. However, I will say some good has come from this as not all of the EU novels were winners from what I've heard. I've also included this image so you and everyone can see what remains canon.

Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Just figured I'd pipe up here despite knowing almost nothing about Star Wars (I saw each movie no more than twice, 7-10 years ago, and nothing more), but, uh...who cares what Disney says is canon? I mean, I know they bought the franchise and everything, but so what? It's not their call as to what you believe. You could just as easily say their version of the story is non-canon.

In fact...this comes up in Dragon Ball arguments a lot, on the subject of GT. Is it canon or not? Depends on what you want to believe (though now that Dragon Ball Super exists, moot point). Or how about Metal Gear Rising? Kojima has said he doesn't consider it canon, but it happens at the end of Metal Gear's timeline, so literally nothing is affected by whether it's canon or not, aside from the fact that as far as Kojima would have you believe, the line "Nanomachines, son," was never spoken.

I bring this up because canon is really a personal issue. I could say "I refuse to believe that KH Coded happened." It's not like it matters. And also...that's still a crapload of material. Like, more than I'd be willing to invest the time into. Granted, says the guy who plays a bunch of 60-hour video games (I like JRPGs, okay...?), but canon is a matter of what a person believes happened, because at the end of the day, it's a story as told by different people.

Sorry if this whole thing comes off as pretentious, I really hope it doesn't, but I guess what I really want to say is, if it's good quality, then canon vs non-canon is no reason to avoid it.

Unfortunately, though, to get back on track, like I said, I know nothing about this franchise beyond what they occasionally put on TV seven years ago, so I can't make any honest recommendations.

Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:46 am

I never said I hadn't read any of it. Just that I hadn't read a lot of it. In fact, one of the first book reports I ever did in school was on Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the book that many say started the EU. I've also read a good chunk of Bounty Hunters(a book containing stories centered around the bounty hunters hired by Vader in Empire Strikes Back). On top of that, I've also played The Force Unleashed, seen both Clone Wars series and read both Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir, and Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin. Only one of those comics is any good, mind you, but that's beside the point.

And I am well aware of Disney removing most of the EU from canon. I got over my plight with that a long time ago. I'm not reading these books to try to gain insight on the movies or anything like that. I'm reading them because I love Star Wars and I want to see good stories set within that universe.

khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:53 pm

All right, I'll own up to misreading the topic as at the moment I was in a rush... plus, I honestly like getting reactions from that bombshell (because I'm a jerk). Now then, to actually do something useful, if you haven't read it already or if it hasn't been brought up, I'd recommend looking up a novel called Kenobi because a good friend of mine recommends it. Anyway, I won't deny non-canon material doesn't have any entertainment value because that would be stupid. But aside from its entertainment value there's nothing else to it. I shouldn't have to elaborate on that point and its importance so I'll leave it at that.

Also Haar, GT was non-canon from the start because Toriyama didn't write for it (he provided some designs, just some). Furthermore, Rising is Canon because while it was written by a member of Kojima's team and not the man himself, Kojima gave his approval to the script.
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:04 pm

I'd like to note that something doesn't have to be written by the original author in order for it to be canon, but again, doesn't matter now that Super is a thing...and people still bitch about it...

I definitely heard that Kojima stated Rising as being non-canon. Granted I don't know the original source for that claim (grapevine does that to you), but I definitely heard it.

I'd rather not get into the debate itself, since my argument for GT being canon or otherwise is "who cares, enjoy it or don't." Canon arguments just irritate me because it essentially devolves into a mudfight of "I hate people who think differently than I do." Is it canon? Is it not? Who gives a damn. Enjoy it or don't enjoy it, it doesn't matter whether it takes place within the original continuity or not. Even if Tree of Might isn't canon to the main series of DBZ, it happens within its own DBZ-based universe, so just take it for what it is.

...I should really stop answering this, though, it's not related to the matter at hand...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top