KHIII E3 trailer. I rest my case.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

KHIII E3 trailer. I rest my case.

Post  khfreak358 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:15 am

"If that thing gets control of you, gutting is always an option."- Wolverine commenting on Spider-Man's Black Suit.

TITAL Characters: Trent, Sylvia
Org. XIV Characters: Siks, Kotank, Susan, Erntxt, Necro, Wayne, Astaroth, Kenshutsu, Mortem
Zombieland Characters: Necro, Crone
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Re: KHIII E3 trailer. I rest my case.

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 am

Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:04 pm

The time to buy a PS4 is nigh, it seems. It looks like it took all the best parts from previous installments. And man, those theme-park-ride Limits look...I want to see how he learns these. Like, is there an explanation, or is it just Merlin going "Here, have teacups."

So many shades, flavors and varieties of yes.

Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:30 pm

I actually liked the conversation Xehanort and Eraqus had, too. And the fact that Eraqus - ERAQUS of all people, whose likeness was based on Sakaguchi - was the most absurdly-prettyboy character in any Square Enix work I've ever seen.

But yeah, looks like they're returning to the use of the Command Menu and having Donald and Goofy fight alongside Sora, which is something I've slowly come to really appreciate. I mean, when I played CoM, I found it weird that Sora said it was hard to fight alone, since I was used to near-mindlessly attacking things, so I never thought about how having all the enemies' attention on Sora made things hard. And then I found other ways they were helpful, too. They really do save my hide from time to time, and it actually makes me think that Drive Forms were a bit of a trade-off...

...Er, moving on. They kept Flowmotion, and it looks like they've even made more improvements to it. Plus, like we saw in the trailer, that means we can have bigger, more sprawling environments, and they'll probably make good use of it for platforming purposes. Imagine something crazy like the Cavern of Remembrance, but designed around Flowmotion. Doesn't that sound awesome and/or hellish!?

Of course, I only just got a PS3 last year, and as it stands, I'm still exploring the possibilities that come with it. I'm afraid I won't be upgrading so soon afterwards. We'll see if I catch up by the time it's released.

Planned Characters for DB Story: Redemi, Nobis, Matsuda.
To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

"Go forth, and set the world on fire!"
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:40 am

I feel like that conversation existed to acknowledge Xehanort as the absurd Chessmaster. And am I the only one who mistook him for Axel for just a second?

Mmmmmasdafargljf. It's...debatable. I never found that Donald and Goofy were particularly helpful in combat, especially toward the end of KH1 where every boss Post-Malef was immune to magic (rendering Donald utterly worthless), but at the same time, KHCoM was way harder because the endgame bosses single you out, which they don't do in other games. I never really felt much of a trade-off using Drives that aren't Valor, for the lack of curative magic, and in most situations, the AI uses items before you really need them, and Donald always seems to be out of Magic when I need healing...but that said, I suppose that DOES technically add up, since the Keyblade is supposed to be the only effective weapon to fight them. They were pretty bad in combat, but they definitely make good meat-shields.

The worlds look way more open now, which I have to say I really approve of, and I'm glade more games (Zelda Wii U...) are starting to do that. As for Flowmotion, I'm interested in how it's implemented, given that it existed previously because dream-world. The Cavern of Rememberance being designed around Flowmotion would probably break it really hard. That area was annoying with max-levelled Drive Forms (in a good way, of course), but Flowmotion is literally the "Go everywhere you're not meant to go yet and get there easier than the intended method" mechanic, at least the way I play the game. That said, wall-jumping in limited areas over infinite pits? Oh, gracious, I'm having Shadow the Hedgehog flashbacks. But then again, KH's Flowmotion isn't absurdly non-functional, so maybe there's hope after all.

Ordinarily, I'd say that there's still no good PS4 exclusives yet, what with Sony still supporting the previous model, but KH is the franchise that I will buy consoles for. I did it with PSP, I did it with 3DS, and I'm willing to do it with another relatively young system as well. This is going to be another instance of "Square, take my money," I can feel it.

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:13 am

I also really liked the conversation between Eraqus and Xehanort. BbS did make it clear that they used to train together, and were once good friends, but we didn't get much in the story to really support that claim apart from Xehanort's Letter. That scene between them made up for it, though. It felt very "Xavier and Magneto" to me, and I always really like character relationships like that, two old friends who later become bitter enemies.

The limits are interesting me, as well. I get the feeling they're probably themed around different worlds, hell, the Pegasus one practically confirms that. If that is the case, though, the tea cups give me the feeling that we might be seeing Wonderland make a comeback, which I approve of.

"If that thing gets control of you, gutting is always an option."- Wolverine commenting on Spider-Man's Black Suit.

Org. XIV Characters: Siks, Kotank, Susan, Erntxt, Necro, Wayne, Astaroth, Kenshutsu, Mortem
khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:48 am

Haar_Dragon wrote:The time to buy a PS4 is nigh, it seems. It looks like it took all the best parts from previous installments. And man, those theme-park-ride Limits look...I want to see how he learns these. Like, is there an explanation, or is it just Merlin going "Here, have teacups."

So many shades, flavors and varieties of yes.

I wouldn't say that they're Limits so much as Summons. Pegasus, with a chariot and lightning? That looks more like what we know as Summons more than a Limit, compared to Sora's akimbo Keyguns or that new Goofy Charge Limit.

I have to say, this is shaping up, though extremely vaguely for the entire duration, to be a rather interesting game. Additionally, Nomura has stated in past interviews that this is the end of the Xehanort Saga and that he intends to continue the series past this. What do you guys make of that? What possible plot threads can we gleam from this?

Finally, I like the new methods of exploration. What do you think it'll be like? KH 1 mixed with DDD? That's what I'm hoping for. And what about the combat? Gregar and I think we're going back to the Command Menu instead of the Command Deck.
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:49 am

I like that this will be the end of the Xehanort saga, but I'm not sure how I feel about the series continuing afterwards. It'll really depend on how the game turns out, as far as the plot is concerned.

The gameplay looks great. I'm betting on KHII style controls, with some elements of 3D's Flownotion mechanics.

One thing that has me really excited, though, is that, supposedly, the people working on the game have said that both Marvel and Star Wars are distinct possibilities to be in the game. I haven't seen anything to confirm that, but if it's true, I'm okay with it. Personally, I don't know if I'd want a full-blown world devoted to them. Star Wars might work, but I feel like the Marvel Universe is too big to be condensed into one world in the game. However, I would really like to see summons, or better yet, secret bosses based around those properties. You could set it up similar to how they did Sephiroth in KHI. You go into the Colosseum, there's a new mystery match, you enter it and you have a fight with Darth Vader or Doctor Doom. I think that would be a really good way to incorporate one of those properties. Although, given the Xavier and Magneto comparison I made earlier, visiting the X-Men could lead to some interesting parallels, as well.

khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:21 pm

I also seem to recall him saying that Sora's role in the series will extend until the series itself ends, so...I'm glad for the fact that it is (most likely anyway) continuing, but I'll hold in that excitement until we actually see a post-Xehanort game.

It looks like it'll play a lot like KH2, but less mashy, hopefully more like Days with regard to the use of magic (ie, if you don't use it you won't do nearly as well and will probably die a lot).

I described them as Limits because to me they look like attacks, as compared to Summons where he calls out Simba/Mushu/whoever else.

I'm indifferent towards both Marvel and Star Wars. I will say that, as far as I'm aware of either series, they seem a bit too Sci-Fi and not really enough Fantasy, but I don't think I'd really be bothered by it. Particularly given that one potential result is Sora hopping circles around the Death Star. And please don't bring up the Colosseum...I'm so sick of that place by now, especially given that you can literally never complete it in one sitting, without getting constant calls from Chip and Dale telling you there's a new tournament. I'm at the point where I can honestly say I don't care how they implement bonus bosses as long as it isn't on Olympus. It has been in literally every installment except 3D.

But barring a seventh trip to Olympus, which would be a slog, it looks like something to get hype for...seriously, guys, the same world six times?

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Olympus Coliseum is actually one of my favorite worlds. I was kind of bummed in KHII when you only had one area of it, and all your business was in the Underworld. It was interesting, but I liked the coliseum. And in 2.5, the track is absolutely wonderful, but you only get to hear it a little bit. And I loved the tournaments in KHI. The PRACTICE sessions were always bullshit, but at least in Days it's trying to teach you how to handle later events... even though those were kinda bullshit as well.

Hell, I even took on the Hades Paradox cup in 2.5, which is another 50-round tourney, and this one didn't even have a prize at the end.

To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:36 pm

The reason I don't want to see the place anymore, though, is because it's been done to death. And back. Every single game had one, and barring KH2, it was always the same: Arrive, tournament, boss fight, leave. And it's always the same song and it's always the same boring Colosseum Gates area where they have no idea where to hide things any more to the point where I can go into that area, search for treasure, and if I don't find it the first time, either it's not there or I don't have the ability I need to get it. At this point, it's an excuse world: an area that exists so that they can re-use some source material without really trying. Especially in Days. I really hate the Colosseum in Days...

*Ahem* I guess what I'm trying to say is, it feels like every time I go there, it feels like I'm just replaying something I already did...and never wanted to replay because there wasn't anything special about it. I'll be clear, I DO like the tournaments, it's just...the story runs are always nearly identical.

I'm not trying to say that it's awful--Zack in BBS is one of my favorite bosses in the game, and I did like exploring the Underworld, to a degree--it's just that I've gone through it so many times that I'm kinda just done with the place. I beat KH1 twice, Re:CoM twice, KH2 at least three times, BBS five times with each character so another 15, and Coded once. So excluding failed runs (my first run of KH1, all the times I've played GBA CoM, that time my KH2 PS2 disc froze and wouldn't load anything, etc...) that's at least 22 times I've gone through Olympus Colosseum. Twenty-two, and way more if you count Days, which I've beaten at least three more times, but I'm not because it's even MORE repetitive and I'd be compelled to include every Days mission, because each one is another forced repetition of the above formula.

Ugh, I'm gonna have to stop now, Days' OC is making my head hurt...

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:15 am

Haar, what if I told you KHIII was expanding on Olympus. Because, if you look in the background, you'll notice that there are Greek-style pillars throughout the area. This, along with some other background details, give me the impression that a good chunk of the footage takes place on Mount Olympus.

On an unrelated note, however, I just realized that the giant tower that we see Sora walk up to is the tower from Tangled where Rapunzel was being held. I'd heard that they were doing a Tangled world, I just didn't realize that that was how people figured it out.

khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:26 am

Oh, the Days one was THE worst. Agrabah also kinda sucked in Days. I see your point - and would like to note that I've got a mildly abnormal tolerance for repetition - but I still like it. If they had to, couldn't they just make it a side-world without a plot? A place you go to, get a couple of cutscenes of Hercules and Sora and stuff, then it's just tournaments?

A Tangled world? Now that you mention it, I'd heard something like that. I actually haven't been re-watching the trailer, for some reason, so it's not totally fresh on my mind anymore. I should really do that. ...Maybe after I defeat the Data Rematches. And Terra. And cure cancer and stop global warming and prevent Galactus from swallowing the planet.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:36 am

Honestly, seeing the place leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth. I think most of it is aimed at the Colosseum Gates, though, so I dunno, climbing the actual mountain is probably something I'd be fine with. Either way I'm not getting off Colosseum-free. There's no way in hell they'd put the Rock Titan anywhere else.

Agrabah I didn't mind so much, probably because I had no issue with Recon missions, which I'm kinda associating with the area at the moment. I...really can't see them making a full world just a side thing. Like, yeah there was the Hundred-Acre Wood, but that didn't have its own place on the map. It was considered separate, but to get there, you had to select your world map destination as Traverse Town/Hollow Bastion. I can't see them just forcing a full-on world off to the side like they did the Mirage Arena, which was...literally just an arena.

...Seriously? Are we serious here? A world from Tangled and not...y'know, something like Toy Story? Something that's maybe a little more nostalgic? Like every other world in the freaking series (barring Port Royal)? I mean, hell, I'd even be okay with a world from Finding Nemo, and that'd be another freakin' water level.

...I just thought of something. If they're considering newer Pixar movies...does that mean Wreck-It Ralph is on the table? Because Sora meeting arcade-game characters sounds like it'd be just about the best thing ever.

Back to top Go down

Post  khfreak358 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:50 am

Tangled and Wreck-It Ralph aren't Pixar movies. They were produced solely by Disney. The same is true for Frozen and Big Hero 6.

Also, am I the only one who doesn't want to see a Wreck-It Ralph world? I dunno, I feel like it would be difficult to incorporate. It's another thing I would prefer as a Summon. Frozen, however, I think would be a perfect fit. But, that's just me.

khfreak358
Siks the Umbra de Aurora
Siks the Umbra de Aurora

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:51 am

Having never seen Tangled I'm tempted to find that somewhere and watch it, but it always struck me as a "Princessy" movie and so my interest in it was always a little lessened (but then I saw Frozen and was rather captivated by it the first couple times I saw it [pretty colors yusssss]), but I don't think it'd be absolutely baseless. If nothing else I'm sure it'd be something like Castle of Dreams, or even... ah... shit what was Aurora's world called? Probably something like those, with Sora interacting with the plot by proxy until the climax, kind of how he did in La Cite des Cloches, etc.

Oh my god. Ralph as a Summon in Beast's Castle? Oh sweet salty Christ, THE REKT-ONING SHALL COMMENCE. HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*cough* But yeah, I would totally love to see more Pixar or Live Action love in the form of Summons. Additionally, I think that if we threw Sora and Co. into like an Avengers meets X-Men crossover type deal set in the Civil War arc, I'm sure we'd get something pretty cool out of it. Thor, Iron Man, Cap'n, the female twin whose name I don't know, Visionary, Hawkeye, Falcon, War Machine, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Wolverine, Colossus, Angel... Hnnnnn...

And then for Star Wars, there's so so much that they could do, but I'm afraid that we'll get set in the prequel episodes. And THEN there's the fact that fuckin' all the expanded universe is gone, so ANY big huge plot, or even a smaller side plot, from there that could have been used?
Fuckin'.
Gone.

And now off to finish postings and then re-watch the trailer a bunch before going to bed.
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:56 pm

Oh, were they? I just associate the CG with Pixar.

I am very well aware that it would be difficult to incorporate, particularly from a legal standpoint. It's one thing to get rights for a Bowser cameo in a Disney movie, entirely another for a game like Kingdom Hearts, a hack-and-slash ARPG on a console by their competition. And even at that, I can easily see it turning into a jarring tonal shift. I'm just saying that Kingdom Hearts is a series that I think can do it right and do it well. If I may point out Port Royal, I'd like to draw attention to the fact that Pirates of the Carribean is about, at its core, two pirate factions fighting to the death over cursed gold. But, I still think KH2 managed to make the world work pretty well.

...Every time someone brings up the Marvel Universe, I feel like the door just shuts in my face. I know next to nothing about it, my only real experience being from the X-Men cartoons from way the hell back.

Yeah...yeah, even if I know nothing of the Star Wars Expanded Universe, cutting everything out except the core movies was definitely a terrible move, simply because of the sheer amount of things that they're just saying "Nope, never happened." I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, but wow do I know that they shut out the vast majority of the canon. And with it probably a large chunk of the fanbase.

As for a world based on it, I'm not sure they'd do that. At first I was thinking that they do like throwing Sora into the beginning of the events, but then I realized that's not entirely true. Like, if they'd done that, Olympus would have been an entirely different world, as would Neverland. It seems to me more that they like putting him in the most recognizable scenarios, in most cases. Does anyone else expect to get tossed into Clone Wars? Like, just to throw us off?

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:18 am

I want Sora to just get dropped straight into the scene where Windu is choking out Grievous and Sora gets caught in it instead. That'd be some sweet shit IMO. And Haar, I don't really know much about either franchise personally, if I'm to be honest. Like I watch the movies, saw the cartoon (dude it had one of the best opening songs ever) and I saw the Star Wars movies and played a couple games. And seen a couple episodes of both versions of Clone Wars.

For real though, if Disney is going through all of this... who would want to see something like a guest star Ghibli and Gainax world? I would guess like Howl's Moving Castle/Princess Mononoke and then Gurren Lagann/Inou Battle? I don't care if it's dumb I'd love to see that shit just to have it there XD
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top