ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY*

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ITT we rant about SMT and Persona *SPOILERS THROUGHOUT LIKELY*

Post  Haar_Dragon on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:47 am

Not gonna lie...I looked up which one Axl Ro was. Honestly, though, it's only more recent parts where I can't remember the villains. I mean, we had Jack the Ripper, Tarukus and Blueford, Dio, then Santviento, Wham, Esidisi, Kars, then Stardust Crusaders gave us the Tarot Card Stands and the...I don't remember the collective term, but Egyptian deities ie Khnum, Thoth, Bastet, Anubis, etc, followed by DIO. And I remember most all of their powers. But I have a tough time remembering most of the villains from Diamond is Unbreakable and Vento Aureo, and I can hardly remember any from Stone Ocean or SBR. I'm a little foggy on Jojolion too, but I'm going back to that one once it's actually finished (so in like five more years...) I really like their powers and how cool they are, like Superfly or Whitesnake, but really, the minor villains aren't as memorable as, say, DIO or Pucci. Y'know, the arc villains. Though Diego was pretty kickass too.

It didn't "bother" me in that it never made me want to stop playing the game, but I did end up booting him out of my party once I had all the Tethe'allans, and he stayed out until...Welgaia, at which point he swapped back in for Regal. The thing is, I really liked his voice-acting, but his writing was off-putting. Honestly, he just felt like "take a standard JRPG protagonist and amplify it by ten."

Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  Cremator of the Sky on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:44 am

Honestly, if you ask me the first two parts have some of the least memorable villains. I mean come on, Zombie Jack the Ripper, two Zombie Knights where one has prehensile hair and the other is just a colossus of a man? I really wish the Zeppelin Zombies (Page, Plant, John, and Bonham) didn't get jobbed so hard they barely got to do anything. Those guys were memorable, if only because of how completely alien they looked compared to the other zombies. This is part of the reason in my mind that PB and BT are the weakest entires in the franchise. And let's talk about BT, there were quite a few other villains aside from the Pillar Men who just completely stole the show (not a bad thing mind you, though I wish Santana and AC/DC weren't complete jobbers). But the Pillar Men were the main antagonists so it's okay... now if only half of them weren't complete jokes.

Well, Tales of games are just basically "Anime: The RPG" so you just got to deal with it.
Cremator of the Sky
Omicron
Omicron

Location : The Ancient World that I have cremated and seeded with Metal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Well, that's probably why Stands were introduced. My big problem with the first couple of parts, though, is their length; they're not nearly long enough to flesh out most of the cast.

That being said, Dio is forever best villain, Joseph is best Jojo (followed closely by Johnny and Josuk8 however.) Gyro is best Zeppeli hands down. And as for stealing the show...are you referring to Stroheim? Because he wasn't really a "villain" per se. I mean, Nazi, sure, but everything post-WWII Cybernetics was strictly in line with Joseph's goals. Or perhaps Straits/Straizo's heel-turn? Because yeah, that one was definitely good, but suffers from Early-JoJo-itis: it was really short...

The Pillar Men didn't strike me as particularly good villains in general, for one real reason: They never got to do anything. Like, after mutilating Caesar's Nazi friend (I think his name was Mark...?) they did pretty much nothing until Joseph took them out. Santana/Santviento in particular, who was revived for about a day. In fact...what ever happened to him? Like...last we saw him was under a UV lamp, and that was what, 70 years before Stone Ocean? They kept those lamps running until the SBR universe kicked in? Really?

As much as they claim otherwise, yeah, that's true. But it wasn't nearly so pronounced in...really any game since Symphonia. Graces had Asbel, who was close, but with Lloyd it felt more like whining, with Asbel it was more like "Well, I'm just gonna be a cool guy and fix everything then." I mean...he wasn't that cool, but his attitude came off that way.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top