Why am I here again?

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Why am I here again?

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Sat May 16, 2015 6:03 pm

In that case, I would suggest the noire thing or the high school for various demonic/angelic creatures. If done right, either could provide ample opportunities to not only break a mold but also to leave something for someone that could be fun. Both additionally could have a constant flow of tension and a "need" to move forward, which is what I find helps me write and put out content.
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Well, in the end, it's all gotta be agreed upon. Personally, I like my idea. If we get a majority vote for the high school idea, I'll play along, though.
AKeybladeYouSay
Norio, The Cordis Custodis

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sun May 17, 2015 7:00 am

We literally just started another RP with a high school setting. I'm kind of against making this into one of those. I LIKE the fantastic noire idea, I just don't know enough about the genre to really contribute as many ideas.

Ahhh, but a story where combat is rare and not focused on... that sounds like a real change of pace! I'd love to try my hand at a story like that.

Planned Characters for DB Story: Redemi, Nobis, Matsuda.
To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

"Go forth, and set the world on fire!"
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Sun May 17, 2015 11:06 am

Seconded. Though as a quick aside, couldn't Persona 4 kinda be classified that way? Anyway, while I do really like the high school idea, we've had one for a long time that didn't work (Heart High) and just started another. Plus, high school isn't exactly the most original thing in the world, and without combat, I could see it getting...asdfasa. Again, like the idea, but I'm not sure it'd work if the goal is to try something new.

Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sun May 17, 2015 11:32 am

So, unless anyone objects to the noire setting, would someone like to do us the honors of writing the first character? Or should we refine the setting before we get to characters?
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Sun May 17, 2015 12:46 pm

I think setting would be better. It's kinda hard to write a backstory, at least for me, when I don't know what kind of setting to go for. Like, I can't make a character who grew up on the wild backstreets of Omaha, Nebraska only to find out that the story is set in Seattle.

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sun May 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Well, the setting would definitely be America, 1940s-50s. Probably in a big city somewhat close to the coast.
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Sun May 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah. I... have very little experience with noire writing at all. The closest thing I have is Sin City and I have no idea how close to the "stereotypes" of the genre it is. So establishing a city first would be good, then the details of that city (notorious for crime? ruled by a mob kingpin? corrupt politicians? police on the take from the mob?), and then what kind of characters we'd be able to make (private eyes, the dames, random civvies, journalists, mobsters) and then from that we shuffle it and come up with a loose enough plot to make things work while giving us creative freedom.
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sun May 17, 2015 6:27 pm

It'll be a learning experience for everyone. Speech patterns might be the hardest thing. Maybe it should be a city that has a big drug trafficking ring.
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Fri May 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Maybe...? I don't really know enough to help with that call, sorry. I've got no objections, though.

To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Fri May 22, 2015 9:37 pm

If we're going fantasy-anything, I think suspension of disbelief can kick in with regards to speech patterns. Of course, if we actually want to avoid that, I'm sure we could.

I'm not really familiar with noire of any description...or drugs of any description, but this is a situation in which I'm willing to roll with the punches. Come to think of it, all of our cities so far have been either pretty nice or straight-up dictatorships, so something tame (by comparison) would again be a nice change of pace.

Now, I'd suggest going with either a fictional city or a fictional world altogether, so as to avoid screwing up state laws or city architecture. I'd recommend fictional city, since things like state laws are still fairly consistent. Maybe something somewhere near Seattle?

And I think we should establish the conflict pre-development. "Stop drug trafficking" to me just sounds...not really interesting, at least not as a main plot. Sub-plot maybe. I was thinking maybe a rash of kidnappings or murders in the area. If the former, perhaps for some kind of ritual sacrifice, for the "fantasy" aspect. Any thoughts or suggestions?

This is all just stuff that sort of popped into my head upon reading the last post, so it was kinda just stream of consciousness. I'm not saying we really need to do any of the above things, they're just my thoughts.

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 23, 2015 12:28 am

Seattle-ish sounds good. Gloomy, rainy, what have you.

Maybe it shouldn't be fantasy right away. It might be cool to have the fantasy elements come to light as our hero, or heroes, do their work.

As for the source of conflict, I do think that drug trafficking would work best as a sub-plot. As for the main conflict, murder/kidnappings seem to be a sensible place to start. Maybe it turns out that the CEO of some big conglomerate company that has presence all over the city is enslaving people to produce goods. Is that too cliche?
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Sat May 23, 2015 2:34 am

The reason I brought up the ritual sacrifice thing was because that seems like the kind of thing that would be revealed way later.

Anyway, as for your idea, are you implying that the CEO is kidnapping people into slavery? Because I'm not sure that's a great plan. Seems like it'd be way too hard to cover up. If not, I do like the idea. Maybe it could involve blackmail in some way?

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 23, 2015 2:42 am

Maybe he's faking people's murders somehow and then taking them into slavery.
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat May 23, 2015 3:40 am

That could very well be where the fantasy comes in: how he stages these fake murders and kidnaps the victims. That way, ordinary police would have no way of figuring it out. ...Or is that too P4?

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 am

I think it's perfect.
I don't mean to sound pushy, but I think we should start writing characters now that we have a general idea of setting and conflict. Unless you guys need more information?
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat May 23, 2015 3:54 am

I think we need just a bit more. So, fifties-grade stuff, but what kind of fantastic elements are we introducing? And is one of the characters going to be the villain?

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 23, 2015 4:05 am

Yeah, I think they will be. In terms of fantasy, I was thinking like, mind control, maybe necromancy? Stuff along those lines.
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat May 23, 2015 4:14 am

Alright, that's probably enough to get started on characters. I've run a number of ideas through my head, and I was thinking of constructing a either a real snake-charmer character who constantly tells half-truths and prefers to work by manipulating others, the highly-analytical ace-detective type, or someone kind of hot-blooded one who's good at applying pressure but not so great at figuring things out themselves. I like the ideas of the first and last ones more, while I figure the detective is a natural fit, but that's so obvious that anyone could pick it.

Your thoughts? I mean, I'd kind of think it's cool to have a deceptive bastard on the good guys'(?) side. And the hot-blooded one would probably be fun to work with, but needs to have somebody else with 'em to be effective.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 23, 2015 4:16 am

I like the idea of the manipulative character. By all means, go for that. I think I'll probably write up a bio for the villain-type.
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 am

Alright, deceiver it is. Of course, that means that other people can take the other two ideas, if they feel like it. Do we want to make proper characters that are the villain's subordinates?

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Sat May 23, 2015 4:46 am

Haar_Dragon wrote:The reason I brought up the ritual sacrifice thing was because that seems like the kind of thing that would be revealed way later.

Anyway, as for your idea, are you implying that the CEO is kidnapping people into slavery? Because I'm not sure that's a great plan. Seems like it'd be way too hard to cover up. If not, I do like the idea. Maybe it could involve blackmail in some way?

As cliche as this is... money talks. You're a CEO, you can afford to cover a lot of shit up. You have some meetings to attend to after-hours, your subordinates have been giving you so much shit piling up you're going to have to crack down and you're hiring new staff.

On the books, everything is legit. Off the books... things are the fucking sketchiest. Not to mention it's easy to use power as blackmail and money as leverage. It's perfect IMO.
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Sat May 23, 2015 12:39 pm

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of Bluecorp from Phoenix Wright, for those familiar. For those unfamiliar, it's a company in Case 2 of the first game which runs by getting information about people and blackmailing them. And because the CEO has dirt on everyone, nobody can stand up against him.

Anyway, so just to recap, which idea are we going with? He kills people and necromances them as slaves for his X-product, or he just kidnaps them and makes it look like he's hiring them as staff?

And for my character...I'm thinking a guy who thinks he's cool, but really isn't. Probably on the short side, and kind of a klutz, but has excellent deductive skills, best for crime scene analysis, but not-so-great social skills. Sound good?

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Sat May 23, 2015 1:59 pm

I like the blackmail idea, Haar. And I remember that case.

Your character sounds good to me. Balances out good deductive skills - an invaluable asset in this story - with poor social skills and unreliable motor control.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  AKeybladeYouSay on Sat May 23, 2015 2:08 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of like...
Here, take this for example.
A man comes home from work. He walks into his house and finds a mangled corpse wearing his wife's clothes that he assumes to be his wife. In reality, his wife has been kidnapped and forced into slavery.
AKeybladeYouSay

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum