Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:05 am

It would also take up more data per save if it had to remember what Keyblades were equipped during what cutscenes, like Persona 4 saves and how they save checkpoints a week before each deadline so Igor can reset you back to exactly how you were back then if you fail. Plus, it would also require Square Enix anticipating that their sequel would have those flashbacks, and that they would have to program all that in advance. Plus, they would need to store all those assets in the second game in order to recreate those scenes with different Keyblades instead of pre-rendering them... so, it's POSSIBLE, but far too difficult and inefficient. It's cool, but not worth it.

...So, what about the opening to 3D when Riku and Sora use Oblivion and Oathkeeper to fight Xemnas? Riku using Oblivion couldn't be done in the game, but...

No, no, that's good. That's recognizing the signals the game is putting out and anticipating what's to come. That's good sense. I mean when the game really IS lying, as a result of developers being unable to create an atmosphere that really matches their words. I don't believe them when they say "this is a good place to level grind If you're stuck" or "you should only use such and such item for this purpose". I end up believing them when they say... dammit, I can't think of an example! I know I've been in cases like these before, and it's false advertising that I fall for even after most people would realize they've been duped, but... gah!

I theorize that Master Xehanort must be using some magic to make himself charismatic. Because nobody would believe that old creeper, he gives off an intense vibe of "DO NOT TRUST ME, I AM THIS UNIVERSE'S SATAN." Though Terra WAS willing to work with Captain Hook. Though Hook doesn't give off such a terribly villainous impression to one who's never dealt with him, and who he actually decides to manipulate. So, uh... I'd excuse the case with Hook, but listening to Xehanort? Terra needs a pretty concrete reason to willingly accept what he says, or he really is just dumb. I mean, it was probably the combination of a lot of things, like the feeling of having his dream pulled out of reach, his own master father-figure thinking he's not ready, even though he's (theoretically) as good as Aqua, and Xehanort both telling him that he believes in him and understands him. He may have been desperate for somebody to understand his affinity for darkness.

Planned Characters for DB Story: Redemi, Nobis, Matsuda.
To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

"Go forth, and set the world on fire!"
NebulaGregarZX
Aleri, the Vindex de Crepusculum

Back to top Go down

Re: Game Talk (I'm putting this extra little bit here because the original title was too short)

Post  Maverick Entity on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 am

Eevees are pretty much Pokemon's cuddle crack.  You just want all of them and 100 of the original.

I'm quite partial to Espeon and Umbreon, simply because of how I started with both of them in Colosseum.  Heck, XD started you with an Eevee, and I am sure I reloaded a save several times when I got to the early point where you get to choose an item to evolve it with.

They just need to make another game where you start off with one.

Sigh, I just need to go play pokemon in some form again.

As for keyblades in cutscenes, I find it more hilarious how they will use what you have equipped, and thus what is suppose to be a dramatic scene gets shut down by the worst design for said scene ever.
Maverick Entity
Gunamnex, the Commemoratio de Fortuna
Gunamnex, the Commemoratio de Fortuna

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 am

...Decisive Pumpkin. Great weapon, kinda bad design, pretty stupid name.

It's been a while since I've played 3D, actually. So I don't remember that scene. And is that how they'd have to do that? Huh. No wonder they didn't, then. I read somewhere that Nomura decided whether to make a sequel or not depending wholly on the demand for one. As in, his plan from the start was, "I'll make a sequel if they really want one, but otherwise, eh."

Actually, it's more my gaming instincts. You see a place that's pretty much perfect, and you know one of two things is going to happen. 1), it'll get completely destroyed, or 2), it'll be the site of a major future battle. I personally tend to expect number 1.

In all honesty, I'd attribute it to Terra's simply wanting what MX says to be true, if not for the fact that he comes into contact with pretty much EVERY villain, and ends up helping most of them. Maleficent, Evil Queen, Hook, MX himself...and every time, bar the second where it was an act, he ended up actively helping them. In other words, the entire series and all the BS with Xehanort happened because Terra's a naïve idiot. Not to say I can't see where he's coming from, or even that I don't like him. But he's still stupid. It feels like they wanted to make him actively evil, but decided it didn't work right with the plot.

Terra, the Vir who Convelli Telluris

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:39 am

I only remember it because it struck me as odd: not only was Sora using something other than Kingdom Key, but Riku was using Oblivion. It's partially because it's segued from Roxas fighting Axel with those two Keyblades, meaning it would've had to be those two, but still.

Yeah! It's different from what I mean. It's good, it helps you be ready for anything. What I mean is just kinda lame. Like, playing Mega Man Battle Network 4 and not HATING THE SH*T OUT OF IT. Buggy mess of a game, stupid nonsense plot, most stupid villain ever, ruined new game plus feature that makes a first run hard because your arsenal will be too weak, randomly-chosen events followed by bosses and powers as a result, and a SCRIPT THAT LOOKS LIKE A NOVICE FAN-FICTION! GAAAAAAAAH!

...And, because I allow myself to be fooled, and trust that the game isn't wrong, that I'm just bad at it, I believed it wasn't terrible. My least favorite, but not bad. Though, for future reference, I'm tired as I write this, so I might just be venting my frustration at taking so long to find an example that works in any capacity. Which might not even work, since I think you were actually fine with that game for some reason. I find that weird, because anything good about 4 was in 5, but better. The Liberation Missions aren't really bad, so long as your Folder has good flow, and you can attack quickly. And if you don't care about the rewards, just take your time. I just blast through as fast as I can because I'm impatient, and I like to see how well I can do anyway.

To Be Introduced: Stice, Some jackass ghost, Rekoka, Raidou. Also some villains.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I said I preferred 4 when I was younger, primarily because I was bad at Liberation missions and didn't know how to make a proper folder. I prioritized power over combos, and as a result rarely got a set of chips that could take out enemies in 3 turns.

As for BN4, I went back through it semi-recently and found that it was more boring than bad. And it has the most paper-thin villain since...that guy from Power Rangers. Y'know, the blatantly evil one. I never found it to be a buggy mess, and as for the plot...what plot? You're not involved in it until the last scenario. Literally everything else bar the final tournament is completely unrelated, and even that same final tournament doesn't tell you it's part of the plot, so it still feels pointless. And I've heard a lot of hate for the Hard and Very Hard modes that I, to be perfectly honest, don't understand. If you want to play again on Normal, just choose new game...And the script? Well, being that 80-90% of the game isn't plot-related, I don't really care whether it's good. It's like saying that sidequest NPCs in games don't sound realistic enough. So what? It's not related to the story.

Now, with all that out of the way, is it bad? Technically, yes, it's a bad game, and probably the worst that the series has turned out. But is it a torment to play? Not really. It just doesn't motivate you to continue. Honestly, if I muted the game and put on Eye of the Tiger (or similar motivational song) in the background, I wouldn't have any trouble with it. Though there is that one scenario that requires you to have money, which means that you'll potentially be grinding for quite a while in a Megaman game...

Meh. If I wanted to play a REALLY good Megaman game, I'd stick to ZX anyway. I like Battle Network, it's a big part of my childhood, and you won't hear me say a bad thing about BN6, but something about ZX, man. Something about it.

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:52 pm

...That would do it, yeah. Liberation Missions are hell on a poorly-constructed Folder.

But that's exactly it. It's pointless. It's just up lot made up of endless, pointless filler. It would make sense if being the champion of Electopia qualified Lan for the final tournament, but no, they still have to test him with that stupid fake-kidnapping thing! And dungeons? Only three in the game, and they're all PAINFUL.

As for the bugs, er, it's finicky. I hear some only trigger if you're playing on anything but an original GBA (including SP and DS), like the on during Woodman's scenario... But some of it is just bad hit-detection and stuff.

It almost single-handedly killed the BN series. They officially ended it with six. CAPCOM doesn't end their series', they milk them endlessly, so this stands out.

The difficulty modes? Oh, that's not the problem. The problem is how on the first run, all viruses will be their basic or EX (v1.5) varieties. This means they will only drop the weakest chips. This limits your arsenal, making it hard if you happen to encounter any rematches by accident... I mean, who cares about higher-level Mettaur viruses? Plus, it fails to do neat things like carry over your money, or keep things like the damned C-Slider you need to enter the Undernet. You keep your chips, and programs, sure, but it's an obnoxious thing to do to force you to do that sidequest again each time, pay money to do so, and in a game where cash isn't exactly falling into your lap from climbing a giant tower in an hour that doesn't exist!

...Also, I've got MMBN5 Double Team DS... I kinda have an obligation to beat it, because my brother got it for me, and we agreed that for however much progress he made in The World Ends With You, I'd make similar progress in BN5. And he's currently somewhat AHEAD of me in TWEWY. I've been playing for years. ...Well, I'm still better at Tin Pin, but he'll catch up. See, he craves an opponent in Battle Network that can truly challenge him, and since I'm the only person he knows who still plays it, and I actually happen to be good, he wants me to get on an equal level with him. I gave him a good scare, once, when he was overpowered compared to me and I only lost the match because I tried to throw the match but forgot about Undershirt, then pulled a combo that brought him to 1 HP before he managed to take me out. He was a second away from losing that round.

Of course, I just got ChaosUnison, which I know how to break the game with. So it shouldn't be too hard, I just need motivation. Which is in short supply for me.

...Uh, 'something about ZX'? It's just all-around kickass. ...Okay, it does have that hard-to-capture charm to it. I mean, it in essence lets you play as X, Zero, the Four Guardians, AND OMEGA, the God of Destruction. It has anime cutscenes, a wide-open world, plenty of great music, a compelling story that either covers the connection to the Zero Series (Vent) or what Biometal is all about (Aile). And as Aile, you're allowed to switch your color palette around. That's just a nice touch.

In fact, just thinking about it makes me want to play it again. Once you memorize where certain doors are, the only problems in the game are nullified, those being the map system. Plus, the difficulty modes are diverse! Easy Mode is just a fairly painless adventure for the less-skilled or just lazy, Normal is a challenging experience, and Expert/Hard is not for the faint of heart.

All-around, ZX is awesome. Even comparing it to the sequel, it's got something. And that something might just be Model O, but still. If there's anything that could improve the game, it MIGHT be voice-acting like the sequel got, or an improved map system. That's two things. TWO THINGS THAT I CAN THINK OF that would make it better, and I like to think I'm good at giving constructive criticism. It really is an awesome game.

But, uh, I digress.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:47 pm

See, I could never find a copy of Double Team. And I was really disappointed to see Battle Network ending. Still, at least they ended on, in my opinion, the best game of the series.

Yep. Like I said, it's bad on a technical level, but in practice, it's just boring. Especially considering there are five games that are essentially the same, but better.

...You actually know someone who still plays Battle Network? Lucky you. Back when the Gameboy Advance was actually a thing, I knew one person who had a link cable and played the series. And he consistently beat my ass because I was 6 and terrible at video games. And he lived more than an hour away. Nowadays, since the GBA isn't actually a thing anymore, the multiplayer is pretty much nonexistent. And that guy I mentioned? He's lived in Florida with his dad since his parents divorced. So I see him once a year, if that...now I'm sad...

Oh, TWEWY...so fun. Although I have a lot of trouble finding the reports, since I'm not even slightly good at riddles and refuse to use a guide. And I was always awful at Tin Pin. There's also apparently some potential for a sequel.

Yeah, see, the only X game I've played is the first. Well, played and beaten. I've touched a couple of stages in X2. So really, I was playing ZX for ZX...so I have no idea who any of the Biometals are based on bar models X and Z. I'll say that A-Trans is a pretty cool system, too, and really, the main problem I have with ZX lies in this: Why can't Vent/Aile use only one Biometal? I mean, I could see them explaining it as Model X getting damaged in the fight, but...well, they don't. And considering you can get the others without damaging them even slightly, it doesn't make sense that you can't use JUST Model P, for example, as opposed to Model Px.

Overall, I think the feel of ZX was better than Advent, but I will say that I like ZXA's added variety in powers, plus the fact that Grey and Ashe can fight, while Vent and Aile can't. They can't fight especially well compared to using Model A, but they can fight...Now I really want to play the ZX series again. Apparently, ZX is just magic.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:14 pm

Perhaps the only thing I can contribute at this point is that in the Japanese version of the game the Decisive Pumpkin is called the Holy Pumpkin. Which I have taken to now affectionately calling it the Holy Pimpcane. Because DAYUM that ground damage output. Especially in Final Mix. Critical Mode is so much easier for the story if you're not doing a low level run. Post-game, though... *shudder*
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 pm

For damage, pretty much my favorite combo is Decisive Pumpkin and Valor Form with Hero's Crest. But I really want KH 2.5. Because Two Become One. And the boss fights. And BBS FM. And GAH!!!! Almost as much hype as SSB4. Almost.

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Ebay. And it wasn't so easy to get, either. We went through a couple of auctions before we got my copy. Nice thing about DTDS, though, is that since it's on the DS, there's no need for a link cable.

The riddles are bullsh*t sometimes. SHOWN A DREAM in particular, and even when you figure out what it means, you have to go to a previous day to manipulate certain events so that you can get the item on the right day... While one of them is actually funny, and since it's so late in the game, it's nice to see that the game doesn't forget its sense of humor.

How would you ever get through Another Day without being good at Tin Pin?

Oh, the Four Guardians are from the Zero series. They're technically the divided pieces of X's soul put into different bodies or something of that nature. And Omega is from the third game in the series. His fight in that game was so fun and iconic that they put it into ZX. You can find him across a long hallway filled with spikes and those disappearing blocks, and fight him an unlimited number of times. This is in Area N, by the way, where you are never required to go by the plot, only to the Area M that connects it to everything else.

Well, I dunno. In ZXA, it's explained that there are DNA locks, so each Chosen One is suited for one Biometal. So perhaps they can't use anything without Model X because he's the only one they can use, normally. Double-merging with Model X and another Biometal bypasses this problem. I recall it being noted that Double Megamerging puts a serious strain on the body, which is why you don't see other Chosen Ones doing it, or trying to, or grabbing other Biometals from each other.

Yeah. Aile and Vent had the advantage that some enemies weren't hostile when they were in human form, but I'm too impatient to run around without dashing anyway, so I just shoot things.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 pm

Likewise. Those crawling segments kill me sometimes.

Sure, there are DNA locks in Advent, but the Biometals in the first game aren't found on people. I would assume the bosses are still considered Reploids, even if they aren't humanoid, but whether they are or aren't, robots don't have DNA. So...what does it matter?

I feel like ZX should have its own anime. Especially considering the anime cutscenes in the first game aren't translated.

I never beat Another Day. Not because of Tin Pin, but I wanted to get all the reports first. I've actually gotten much better at it than I was, but I still resort to spamming my pins' abilities. And actually, the one I'm stuck on is "Spicy Tuna-Roll." Y'know, what that one guy calls Neku on a day before the one the Report specifies.

Yeah, the humor does get downplayed in the final week, doesn't it? Then again, considering those events...I'm not surprised. The final week is probably my least favorite part of the game, final boss notwithstanding. Mostly because it just gets too dark and kinda forgets what it had in the first two weeks. I mean, yeah, the final week has a couple of moments, but it's just your partner being...your partner. Whereas with your first two partners, the humor comes from the characters bouncing off each other, rather than just "I'm misinterpreting words!"

The only Zero game I've played is the fourth, and even then, the time limit for fighting that one boss is really strict. Or at least, it feels like it is. Besides that, I've heard the rest of the series is crazy-hard. Like, practically being required to save-scum, even though the save point locations are specific.

eBay? Crap. I don't use eBay. Mostly because I don't have a credit card, but all the same.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zeldaman2.0 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 pm

I once got very, VERY close to fully beating Another Day, but I had my copy stolen from me before I could. And I had been grinding food so hard just before that fight, too... I think with the reports I basically just completed as many as I could, and then after trying literally everything I could, if I had any left I think I looked up a guide for them. That and one of the Pigs in Pork City. Also, can we talk about how bullshit the elephant Noise are? Like really?
Zeldaman2.0
Beta
Beta

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Sorry, it's been a while...which ones were the Elephant Noise?

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Those were Pseudoroids, they're designed to harness the Biometal's power without being its Chosen One. They're not so much merged with the Biometal as leeching off of it. Plus, those Pseuforoids might technically be Mechaniloids, not Reploids. And, uh, this game was made by CAPCOM. Of course Reploids have DNA. ...Actually, it's a big point in the late X series. Especially in the bullsh*t plot of the eighth game.

...If that's the case, why not look for the Prince on the specified day? There are hidden events all throughout the game, playing out in the background, and often are involved in getting the secret items.

Even Neku seems put-out by his partner's lack of intelligence and banter.

Oh, Zero 4? Not the best place to start, being the end... And that timer doesn't seem like a problem to me. Either kill or be killed within those two minutes. And it's not THAT hard. It's much like ZX, but without all the extra movement abilities and Biometal transformations. And no BM Gauge to deal with. Imagine playing the game with just Model ZX, and you've got Zero's basic playstyle, though in his series he can switch in different weapons. ...But, uh, if you had a lot of trouble with 4, the others would give you a hard time, too. The fourth game was mostly just made because of the following:

1: Megaman Zero 3 had been so amazing that fans were begging for more, even though the series had clearly hit its climax and resolved Zero's main internal conflict.

2: The villain hadn't been satisfactorily killed, though if they could BS in the deaths of three beloved characters in separate materials, they could have easily had him die in the explosion, too!

3: They wanted to squeeze all the money out of it, as usual.

Like a lot of Noise, those are exclusive to Another Day. Their one attack is to create a big-ass earthquake that stuns you and your partner and deals massive damage, and avoiding it is nigh-impossible.

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Haar_Dragon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 pm

Yeah, I kinda didn't think they'd do something by forcing you to backtrack through time, so it never really occurred to me to check on that day.

D...does CAPCOM not know what DNA is? Because robots as a whole cannot have DNA, because it's a part of human cells. Being robots, how could they possibly have human cells? Does not compute.

I didn't know it was the end of the series. And the thing is, I've gotten the boss as far down as half of his last health bar, but then I run out of time. It's probably because I tend not to care about getting hit, but it seems pretty strict, given that I lose to the timer more often than I actually die. Zero is actually how I tend to play most games of that style: rush in with a bladed weapon and cut everything. So it's not really so much that I'm thinking of him the wrong way as that I'm just plain not that good.

I kinda figured they'd give me a hard time, considering I'm not that good at platforming. Still, with that said, I'm not against hard games, like I've mentioned before. I'm not good at them, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying them, despite probably losing about thirty lives over the course of...ehhh, three missions? I might be exaggerating a bit on that number, though. Point is, I'm not that great, but I can still have fun.

Back to top Go down

Post  NebulaGregarZX on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:31 pm

CAPCOM doesn't know jack-sh*t about science. Dude, look at all the insane stuff that happens in BN. Weather-controlling satellites that instantly create and fix extreme weather conditions? AI that have souls? Ovens that shoot fire when infected by viruses?! That's just scratching the surface. There are endless ways in which they disregard actual science and pretend to know what they're talking about.

Oh? It becomes abundantly clear that it's the end after you win. The music alone should be enough to say "this series is over" during the final battle. ...And try using charged Saber attacks. They're the most powerful single-hit attack you have. As for the triple-slash combo you use when standing still on the ground, that deals more total damage, and it works on bosses, so long as they're hit with the first slash. Jump-slashing is less effective.

The DS collection has Easy Scenario, a mode where you play all four games in one long run, but you only get one save file at a time. It makes things as easy as possible, by giving you EVERY Cyber-Elf effect. Even the legendary Jackson in the first game, and the Ultimate Form in the second, and starts you off with maxed-out weapon levels. You don't get all EX Skills from the start, though.

-------

http://tital.bigforumpro.com/viewtopic.forum?t=318

NebulaGregarZX

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Back to top